Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Remnant

  It is time, again, for another spot light on a generous donor for our adoption auction!  I could not be more excited to introduce to you one of the founders of Remnant, Jen Griffin.  She and her husband, Hal, began Remnant in Wilmington, North Carolina.  I am so excited that "the lined leather tote" will be available to bid on via our auction website, 32auctions.com/HicksFamilyAdoption, December 1-8!



Here is a little background taken directly from their website:

Remnant is a husband and wife collaboration established in Wilmington, North Carolina that was born from a desire to be mindfully creative turning discarded materials into useful and lasting pieces.

All of our carry goods, accessories and furnishings are meticulously handcrafted using high quality salvaged and new materials.


  I dare you to go to their website and not fall in love with all of Jen's designs!  She has a variety of bags and accessories that are an eye-catching combination of new and old.  One of my favorite parts of her store is her KIN leather wrap bracelet.  All of the profits from the sales of this bracelet go to fund adoptions, both theirs and others.  I love their mentality and generosity.


  Jen's dad was in the Army, so she grew up in quite a few places but claims to be from Honolulu, Hawaii because that was where she was born.  She studied Spanish Literature at the University of Georgia and Georgia State.  Three words that best describe her are: optimistic, sensitive and determined.  Here are some more questions that Jen answered to give us a glimpse into the lives of Jen and Hal.  Enjoy!




Q: What inspired you to start your business?
A:  I was given an old sewing machine, & once I learned how to use it, it opened the floodgates to creativity & my love for making things by hand. This began my love for being mindfully creative, turning discarded into useful, all while making carry goods that are both beautiful & very functional.

Q:  What is your product?
A:  I make all sorts of carry goods from fabric & all leather bags to smaller pieces such as wallets, clutches, & leather key lanyards.

Q:  Where have you travelled?
A:  Korea, Hawaii, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Nicaragua, & I love exploring our states right here at home...

Q:  Which place is your favorite?
A:  Nicaragua might have to be my favorite place I've traveled to.

Q:  What do you like most about where you live now?
A:  I love living near the ocean & the slow pace of life that the culture of a smaller coastal town offers.

Q:  How did you meet your husband?
A:  I met my husband in a Patagonia store. He was an employee & I was a customer, & it was love at first sight.

Q: What is the biggest obstacle you have overcome?
A: Hal & I walked thru a very difficult stripping season in our lives that involved unemployment & lots of uncertainty for  a little over a year. During that time we lost our home & learned the true meaning of simplifying,  & enjoying the little things. It was incredible to experience God's miraculous provision during that time, to see our marriage of almost 10 years grow stronger than ever, & to see that season of our life being used now to help encourage & bring hope to others.

Q:  What is your ultimate last meal?
A:  My last meal would have to be Vietnamese Pho, my favorite soup in the whole world.



No comments:

Post a Comment